Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Gaudy Insects!

The African Bush Grasshopper was found in my yard the other day and I could not have been more amazed. We saw it flying across our heads with rainbow colored wings and I thought...what in the world? A flying grasshopper?  Anyway, it turned it to be this, a Green Milkweed Locust (Phymateus viridipes).  They belong to this family; Pyrgomorphidae, which means...Gaudy Grasshoppers.
Kind of funny. Ha


I thought this was the only one until I found about 60 of them congregating on this one bush.  Crazy! So, it has now been my daily ritual to go and check out these amazingly, awkward, kind of creepy...but seriously cool Locusts. 



 
Since coming to Africa over four years ago, I started to become somewhat of a Birdie, as embarrassing as at is. I just can't help but be amazed by all the different birds you see here! But now I must say...I might now be into insects? What??? Honestly, that is really kind of Gross!!!


 

Praying Mantis
In South Africa, they are seen as Gods.  I mean, you never know, right? The people here also think that mermaids and goblins are real, so you never really know what they are thinking when they
see these things. Ha Honestly, I'm afraid to ask!!!


Do you see how big this worm is??




Hope you enjoyed some of my GAUDY pictures. :)

No comments: