Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bedtime Battles

Our situation, being as crazy as it is, just never seems to end. The day we left Kenya, Chase decided to crawl out of his crib. Seriously??? The day we leave the country of Kenya, to the land of opportunity (or used to be anyway...sorry, had to put that jab in), the land of hotels and new places, with more adjustments than he will ever know what to do with...he crawls out of his crib?????

I knew we were in for it once this happened but knew we would have to just push through it. At our first spot, the hotel, we had a crib. He crawled out once, but then gave up after that. It must of hurt or something, who knows. I thought we were Golden!!! Yes, Chase stayed in his crib, but Hannah had another story.  We thought she would be ok on the couch, with a table pushed up against it so she wouldn't fall off, that way Tom and I could sleep in the king bed next to Chase. But, after a few hours, Hannah realized she had no idea where she was (rightfully so) and crawled into bed with Tom and I. Something we never let happen, but what were our options?  Anyway, night after night it ended up that Chase would sleep in the crib, but Hannah would soon take over the ENTIRE KING bed with Tom and I hanging off the ends, with barely any covers and either Tom or myself would end up on the couch. Not bad for a few nights since we were already so jet lagged, but eventually it started to be a bit uncomfortable. Did I mention Hannah has a horrible snoring problem?

And although Chase was sleeping in his bed all night, he would wake up occasionally and decide to play with the blinds at 2 am, 4am and 6 am, sometimes even in his sleep. We would of moved him, but there were not any other places for the crib, except next to the window.  Eeeggh!

So, sleeping, to say the least was and has been difficult.  Then, we got to my friend's spacious home where Hannah would have her own room and I would have my own area in her very nice finished basement and a spot anywhere I can put a pak n play for Chase. There are three different large areas to choose from for Chase's bed in the basement, but I chose near me as I did not want him to get scared if he woke up again in area he did not know.  He cried every night when I put him down, but managed to fall asleep a few minutes later. 

Until of course...he figured out how to crawl out of the pak n play. Oh yes...he figured it out. The first time he crawled out was supposed to be during nap time.  I came downstairs to check on him.  When, what to my wondering eyes should appear ... I see Chase laying in the main area of the basement, he had gotten a toy, sat on the floor and turned on the tv himself. Yes, he is 2.  He was just sitting there on his stomach (on a pillow), propped up on his arms, watching tv. Although he did not fully know how to turn the tv actually "on", he did manage to put the sound on and that pleased him just as much. 

I am not sure if this was the same day, but the next night, I put him to bed.  He crawled out and then went up the stairs to the main level peaking around the stairs, and I again I put him back downstairs and into his pak n play. He did it again, and again and again until my friend Michelle said...let me try.  So, she then put him back down a couple times, waiting behind the door until he tried again and told him to STAY in his bed. He finally stayed put. Thanks Michelle!! She said she had to turn the light on, because in the dark he looked like a little Ninja crawling out of the bed. We really got a kick out of this, so that is his nick name now, Little Ninja. 

I think Michelle enjoyed the task and asked if she could try the next few nights to put him in his bed. She masters three children, so I gladly accepted her attempt...anything was helpful at this point. And although it does take some time to get him to actually relax and take many checks to makes sure he has not crawled out, he manages to stay in MOST of the night.  The weekend Dad came in, he must of gotten out of his crib 10 times. You can't blame the kids for being excited. :)

Hannah on the other hand fights going to bed every night in her new room. Its nice, its well lit, the boys are down the hall, Auntie Michelle and Uncle Chris are down the hall...but no, she just wants Mommy. I understand of course, but sometimes when it takes you two hours to put a child to bed...you cant help but cry out of frustration at the end of the night, and that I did.  Maybe it is just a 3, almost 4 year old...I hope.
I HOPE IT ENDS ....SOON!!!!!

The sleep fairy actually even came for a visit, Hannah calls her the Tink Fairy...only if good boys and girls sleep in their bed all night.  Unfortunately the Tink Fairy came before Hannah got of her bed and we had to keep her special treat aside and save it, still yet to be used. Mom also had to take her favorite new shirt away from Princess and the Frog...still had not gotten it back. So, out of desperation and just pure sadness that my sweet Hannah could care less about all these things, she simply just wants to be with Mommy.  So, we moved her single mattress down to the basement with me.  

That night, she slept in her bed (right next to Mommy in her own bed)...all night.  And Chase, he actually stayed in his pak n play all night for the first time since he figured he could crawl out. The other nights have fluctuated a bit, but all in all, they have both slept well.  Chase's nap yesterday started in the crib, but I realized that since I could not get the door open downstairs, the nap began for Chase out of his crib.  He was passed out on the floor and blocking the door. If only I had a picture of that!!! Ha  Like I said, every day is different.

As a mother, I think we all know that a good nights sleep and happy children are priceless.  If you have any advice for me on changes, adjustments and sleeping patterns and what has worked for you...would LOVE anything to help my children sleep soundly and through the night! :)

No comments: